Browse all articles Parent Info By Kat Abianac / December 20, 2015 This is a compilation of the top 8 most Googled questions about Down syndrome. I’ve added accurate, up to date resources to each, and answered the questions. Please don’t mistake me for a paediatrician or a genetics expert. You’re not going to get overly formal answers to the Google searches in the blog below. I’m not Wikipedia- I’m just a mum. This is my take on the resource I never found, but always wanted in the early days! 1. ‘baby Down syndrome’. I’m going out on a limb here and guessing the person who Googled this may have a new baby with Down syndrome. Well, here’s what you need to know! Love your baby, squish him/her, and get reading. There’s a whole community out there waiting for you to tap in and find them. Start here at Down Syndrome Diagnosis Network to be linked to a Facebook birth group, read stories from other parents, and much more. 2. ‘Down syndrome tiger.’ Sorry folks, tigers can’t have Down syndrome. Kenny’s just been inbred, unfortunately for the already-dwindling white tiger population. Neither can monkeys, bears, or anything other than a living breathing person be born with 47 chromosomes, aka Down syndrome. Check out a Reddit thread here to learn more. 3.’Down syndrome test.’ Yes, you can test prenatally for Down syndrome. There’s a whole realm of discussion out there on this- everything from eugenics to pro-life vs pro-choice. Here are some information sources on actual prenatal tests here and here. 4.’Down syndrome children’. Man, I googled this a LOT when my son was born and diagnosed with Down syndrome. I must have gone 60 pages deep into Google. So if you’ve just had a child diagnosed and you Googled this term, here’s the picture I guess was looking for the whole time. It’s my beautiful, sometimes naughty, always cheeky, son. (You’ll take one yourself personally, in about three years.) You can see MANY MANY more pictures here. 5.’Down syndrome symptoms.’ Well I can’t list them all. There’s loads. So I’ll link you to somewhere that does. But before I do- know that your child won’t have all these symptoms. Odds are, they’ll only ever have a handful. So don’t count your chromosomes before they hatch. Just take it one day at a time. Now, click here (or here, best guide ever in NY Times) for some lists. Don’t mind the often- confusing medical terminology. Your child’s ‘epicanthal folds’ just mean they have a different shape, not an eye disease. If you’re not sure what the symptom you’re reading about means, ask in a Facebook group like this one. 6.’Down syndrome people.’ Madeline Stuart Oh, those Down syndrome people are happy, aren’t they? Kidding. They’re regular people. And they’d probably prefer to be called ‘people with Down syndrome’, or even just ask the person you’re talking to how they’d like to be referred to. Anyway, here’s a list of some awesome people with Down syndrome I’ve written or read about over the last few years to get you started. Madeline (internationally acclaimed Australian model) Kayla (Columbian orphan-turned-daughter-and-superstar to her mom and dad) Jillian (loving wife and daughter) Kate (loving wife and daughter) Thompson kids- 3, all with Down syndrome! Josie (artist) Tim (restauranteur) Noah (cute kid with a dad who loves taking pictures!) 7.’Down syndrome pregnancy.’ Well if you’re googling this, you’ve probably had a prenatal diagnosis. Head over here for loads of up to date, fresh information. If you want help wording your birth announcement, head here and read the comments too. And if your doctors sucked at telling you about your child’s diagnosis, send them a Christmas picture every year for the rest of their life of your beautiful child. Passive aggression has a time and a place. 😉 8. ‘Down syndrome causes’. Well I’ll link you to official information, but I’ll break it to you gently first. Your baby had Down syndrome from the instant they were conceived. It wasn’t you during pregnancy wearing high heels, eating McDonalds, forgetting prenatal vitamins, not getting enough exercise, wearing tight undies, drinking coffee or eating sushi. Your child is who they were meant to be all along. It happened due to meiosis and a chromosome split. That is all. It’s random in 99% of cases. The other 1% is genetic due to translocation. Now you can go read about it here. These are the top 8 most Googled questions on Down syndrome. If you enjoyed this resource, please share it using the social media tabs!